You can't do better than passionate, idealistic, honest and good Jimmie Stewart! Do not study United States Government without watching Frank Capra's "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington!"
This film just couldn't be any more perfect for showing, in an interesting, entertaining, inspiring, and CLEAN way, how things work in the Senate, how money can corrupt politicians, how one man CAN make a difference, and so much more. In fact, I read my kids' freewrites from this morning where the question was, "What did you learn from 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," and their musings covered a wide array of topics including honesty, perseverance, power of the press, corruption and greed, filibusters, imperfect government, and more.
I have become a real Frank Capra fan in the past couple of years. I've always loved "It's a Wonderful Life," but my appreciation has grown even more as we've watched this film, and also "You Can't Take it With You" and "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" as part of our economics studies. LOVE these films!


One of our favorites! Lastbyear we studied government and how a law becomes a law, and watched this shortly after the study. My daughter turned to me and said I really get this show now! I understand what he's doing!! I agree a must see!!
ReplyDelete