Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Spring!

"No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow."
-Proverb-


As the sun set on winter, I was finally recovered enough from my pneumonia to take a short walk around the block. The snow was melting and I so appreciated that the smell of my first deep breaths in weeks were heavy with the delicious earthiness of dirt, emerging from its long sleep and ready for life, like me.

"It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. 
And when you've got it, you want--oh, you don't 
quite know what it is you do want, but it just
fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!"
-Mark Twain-


Sunrise on a promising spring morning in the country is invigorating, especially since I was finally able to run again--the first time this year.

“Country things are the necessary root of our life - 
and that remains true even of a rootless 
and tragically urban civilization. 
To live permanently away from the country 
is a form of slow death.” 
-Esther Meynell-



"The true sound of spring is not the robins returning
but the sound of a bat on a ball"

And the nature of spring baseball is that you can and do play in all sorts of weather--even in the snow.



"Springs greatest joy beyond a doubt
is when it brings the children out."
-Edgar Guest-


"In the spring, 
at the end of the day,
you should smell like dirt."
-Margaret Atwood-



"Our Lord hath written the promises
of the Resurrection
not in books alone
but in every leaf in springtime."
-Martin Luther-


"Spring shows what God can do
with a drab and dirty world"
-Virgil Kraft-


"Can words describe
the fragrance of the
very breath of spring?"
-Neltje Blanchan-



“Is the spring coming?" he said. "What is it like?"...
"It is the sun shining on the rain 
and the rain falling on the sunshine...” 
-Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden-


My daughter begged me to come to the window to see the rainbow. I'm so glad she did. I never tire of rainbows and always see them as a miracle despite the scientific explanations. This was probably the brightest rainbow I've ever seen, but in thinking on it it's probably because another dark storm was brewing behind it. The darker the storm, the brighter the rainbow--both out my window, and in life.


"I looked out the window,
and what did I see?
Popcorn popping on the apricot tree!"
-Georgia W. Bello-





"The flowers of tomorrow
are in the seeds of today."

So much hope in spring! Here's hoping that no freeze nor hail nor pest will destroy my apricots this year. It's been three years since we harvested any. These blossoms look promising!




"April hath put 
a spirit of youth
in everything."
-William Shakespeare








No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!