Sunday, December 14, 2014

Talents--Twice Blessed

Talents are interesting things. 

Sometimes you meet a person who just seems to ooze talent--whether it be several talents in many areas, or just an amazing "forefront" talent that appears larger than life. I've met some people, sadly, who think they have no talent at all, though I don't believe that's ever really true. I've met others who have obvious talent(s) but don't appreciate them or give in to a lazy streak and don't develop them. (I do realize that some people don't develop their talents because of a lack of resources or opportunities, but I believe that if you want something badly enough you can always find ways to learn and grow and develop.)

When talents are recognized and appreciated, the developing of them blesses the one God gave the talent to. The virtues of hard work are learned. Hopefully gratitude is developed along the way; gratitude for the gift of the talent, gratitude for opportunities to develop and share (and parents/people who help make it possible). Ideally, humility is also cultivated when one realizes that he or she cannot take all the credit for a developed talent--God giveth and God can take it away. And finally, a sense of stewardship and responsibility should grow out of the endowment of talents.

Luke 12:48 tells us, "...For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required..." I believe this applies to talents as well. Not just in developing them, but in sharing them and using them to bless the lives of others. Talents bless the talented, but ultimately they're meant to bless everyone.

I LOVE ThePianoGuys.  I've been a fan from the very beginning. Not only are they terrific musicians who write and perform amazing music, they are great people who know what it means to share and use their talents to benefit the lives of others.

Last week, they (ThePianoGuys), David Archuletta, Alex Boye, and Peter Hollens, along with many, many other talented people, set a new Guinness World Record for the largest live Nativity. That might seem unimportant, but what they created is beautiful, and a blessing to all who witness it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!