Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Little "Attamom!" with Hagar Haiku

My children read the newspaper every day. Well, they read the comics every day. And the boys always read the Sports page.  My daughter has recently started reading more news articles; she shocked me the other day when she came to me and said, "Mom, listen to this--I just don't get it. It says this guy will go to jail instead of prison.  Aren't jail and prison the same thing?" Ugh. I kind of wished she'd just stuck with the comics.

As frivolous as some people might think comics are, I regularly find them thought provoking and a good litmus of a person's education. After all, there are many that cannot be understood, let alone considered funny, if a person doesn't have a broad-based education in Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rithmetic.  

Today's "Hagar the Horrible" proved to be such a litmus--and a little bit of a validating "Attamom!" As I sat down for breakfast my daughter told me I had to read "Hagar." I did, and she smiled at me and said, "Haiku!" Having just taught her Haiku a couple of months ago, I love that she remembered and made the connection. Yay!



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!