I've been intrigued by this book since I first saw its cover and read the synopsis. I finally found it at a price I was willing to pay (at Sam's Club) and last week I read it to the kids. We give it eight thumbs up.
I liked the clever use of fairy tale creatures in a new story (a continuation, if you will) and my children thought the book pretty funny. My 14yo avid reader appreciated getting a story from the villains' points of view for a change. But what really makes this book a hit for me is this idea from Santa:
"...But lately I've been wondering what would happen if instead of threatening children with a sack of coal, we give each and every one of them a gift--something that would inspire them. Nobody's perfect in every moment. Every kid tries to be good. Some just have a harder time than others. Maybe the greatest good some kids will do is still waiting deep inside them, somewhere. And maybe the gift we give this Christmas will turn them around and open their hearts. You see, there is so much good in the world, my friends. We just need to encourage it to come out."
It's a worthwhile read. In fact, as soon as I finished reading it to everyone, they were each grabbing the book to read again on their own.

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!