Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Pfeffernusse!

No, you don't have to follow "Pfeffernusse!" with "Gesundheit!" (Both are German words, though.)

Pfeffernusse, also known as peppernuts (English), pepernoten (Dutch), and pebernodder (Danish) are so called because they are the size of nuts and full of spice. (And actually, they do contain ground black pepper!) They are a small dunking cookie that is very popular at Christmastime in Germany, Denmark, and The Netherlands.



I have a batch of dough chilling in the fridge right now, my fingers still smelling awesome from the mix of all my favorite spices. I woke up to discover that today is National Pfeffernusse Day, and because I loved the word (it's just a fun word to say, like "Fluffernutter," and if you know my family, you know we LOVE silent Ps) so I started looking up recipes. I realized, after looking several over, that I have eaten these before but never knew what they were called. I just had to make a batch!
Merry Christmas Eve Eve!  Seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!