Have sleeves gone the way of the dodo? How about common sense?
I just spent the better part of a beautiful autumn day (in which I wanted to hike a little after shopping) stopping at every single clothing retailer in the valley--because no one carries clothing for girls that is appropriate anymore. The traffic was bad, shopping sucked up three times the portion of day I allotted, and the fashions for girls left me fuming. It wasn't a good day.
I have been having problems for a few years now whenever I shop for my daughter, but I'm certain things are only getting worse. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the fall and winter lines of clothing being sold in October are made of thin, summery fabrics, and barely cover the body. I know, I know, many girls are all about leggings these days. Cute... sometimes, when the top covers what it aught. But I do not believe leggings belong at church and I was searching for dresses and skirts for church. And don't even get me started on sleeves. Well, too late. It's bad enough that come spring there are no dresses with sleeves. But why on earth, when temperatures drop, are there STILL no sleeves on dresses? A little jacket doesn't keep a girl warm in the winter! And I'm having a hard time finding conservative, pretty, feminine sweaters. (Not everyone wants all of their clothes plastered with Disney characters, Hello Kitty, or animals--especially if the clothes are for church.) If I'm going to pay for a dress, especially at today's prices, it should cover the basics of my daughter. Between shrinking hemlines and disappearing sleeves, people are really getting ripped off! If she's going to be modest, I've got to purchase additional layers and that means color and style matching, more shopping, and more money. Winter clothing should have long sleeves on it. Sleeves never hurt anyone! But not having them in a northern Utah winter sure could!
Shopping online and via catalog doesn't always work for clothing, especially for certain body types that really need to try things on. I want accessible clothes in regular stores that aren't flimsy, flashy, or make my daughter look like a floozy. Is that really too much to ask?
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!