It was National I Love Lucy Day this week. Isn't it funny all the oddities that someone lobbies to have made into a national day of recognition? The TV sitcom "I Love Lucy" certainly has a lot to brag about, though, what with being the first sitcom filmed live before a studio audience, a winner of five Emmy awards, ranking 2nd on TV Guide's list of television's greatest shows, and being listed as one of Time magazine's "100 Best TV Shows of All Time."
I grew up on reruns of this show, so it's rather nostalgic for me. These days, as much as I enjoy an episode myself, I get more pleasure from hearing my kids laugh at and appreciate the crazy antics of Lucille Ball. I find it remarkable that National I Love Lucy Day shares an "unofficial" day with National Fossil Day and National Grouch Day. Some may consider a television show from the 1950's a fossil, but the clean, classic humor of this show is exactly the kind of thing that needs preserving... and it's the antidote for being a grouch! Nowadays, 200 channels cannot produce much worth watching and the crime, drama, sex, crude so-called humor, news, and "reality" shows MAKE me a grouch. We don't have TV in our house, for several reasons, but we spend enough time in hotels to know what's out there that we aren't missing. Years ago when we did have TV, I found myself watching a lot of shows that, while they weren't "bad," they weren't uplifting, and they often left me feeling depressed about the state of things in the world. So if the family is going to watch something, I'm glad there are still old fossils out there like "I Love Lucy" and "The Cosby Show" and "The Dick Van Dyke Show" that I can trust for cheery family viewing.
In honor of National I Love Lucy Day we watched a few episodes on YouTube with a brunch. I share the following one because its was funny to hear the characters discuss the demise of the art of conversation--due to television--back in the 1950's. If they could see (and not hear) us now!
I apologize now for whatever commercials will pop up.
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!