My 18-year-old was ordained an Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood today. In some ways it felt rushed, and in others it felt overdue. Normally we've had at least one grandfather present for each ordination, but not this time. P1 turned his mission papers in a few weeks ago and within days he had his call (Colorado, Denver North Mission) and he was given just two months to get ready and report. With so much to do to prepare, and with a crazy travel and baseball and Scout schedule plus the other work and play tugs of summer and wanting as much time together as a family, I have felt overwhelmed to the point of being paralyzed and incapable of making decisions. After days of not knowing what to do, I went for a run to clear my head and then turned to the scriptures.
Part of the panic is time, of course. As a homeschooling mom I don't know if I will ever feel, on my own, like my kids' education is complete. That's probably because it isn't and never will be, because there is ALWAYS more to learn. I was hoping for a few extra months before mission time to wrap up some perceived loose educational ends and that has now become an impossibility. But as I was walking along, I was struck with the realization that we had set out with PEGS as our goal and that at this point in time, G is complete, S is complete, E was on the verge of complete, and we are currently working on the part of P that I really wanted to make sure was complete. In that moment I felt immense relief and was so grateful to my Heavenly Father for pointing it all out to me. No, my son doesn't know everything, but no one does no matter how old they are or how much education they've received. But we ARE close to the goal and it's within reach.
After that burden was lifted, I was able to think a little more clearly. As I opened my scriptures, they fell to a chapter (the book and number of which escapes me at the moment) that was all about receiving the priesthood. Up to that point I'd kind of been putting off the ordination, trying to figure out when to do it and such. I felt strongly at that moment that the Lord was telling me that it was just plain time to do it regardless of imperfect circumstances and who could or could not be there. I felt very strongly that the most important thing was to move forward with the ordination immediately.
Today, as it all took place, just our immediate family and some leaders, I felt immense peace. I think there is a lot of goodness in the support of extended family, and it speaks of the importance of an ordination or ordinance for extended family to make a trip to be present for it, but I learned this week that each individual's personal progress along the path and the ordinations and ordinances themselves are the most important. Sometimes we get so caught up in the culture of something--and in turning it into some sort of party--that we lose sight of the simple necessity and rightness of an act and its eternal significance.
So, what exactly is an Elder? I found the following in Bruce R. McConkie's "Only an Elder."
What is an elder? An elder is a minister of the Lord Jesus Christ. He holds the holy Melchizedek Priesthood. He is commissioned to stand in the place and stead of his Master—who is the Chief Elder—in ministering to his fellowmen. He is the Lord’s agent. His appointment is to preach the gospel and perfect the Saints.
What is an elder? He is a shepherd, a shepherd serving in the sheepfold of the Good Shepherd. It is written: “And ye my flock, the flock of my pasture, are men, and I am your God, saith the Lord God” (Ezek. 34:31). It is also written, and that by Peter, the first elder in his day: “The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, …
“Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
“Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
“And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away” (1 Pet. 5:1–4). Know this: elders, who are standing ministers in the Lord’s kingdom, are appointed to feed the flock of God, to take the oversight of the flock, to be examples to the flock.
...
What is an elder? “And now come, saith the Lord, by the Spirit, unto the elders of his church, and let us reason together, …
“Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question—unto what were ye ordained?
“To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth” (D&C 50:10, 13–14).
An elder is the Lord’s representative sent forth to teach His gospel for the salvation of men.
So, I can say with confidence that my 18-year-old is a Gentleman, a Scout, and now, officially, an Elder. We're getting acquainted and familiar with the most fervent patriots in history and studying the tenets of the Founding Fathers and the nation they founded so we can cap off the climb with a resounding P.
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!