The valuable skill of memorization is going the way of the dodo I'm afraid. It's more than a shame--it's a tragedy. The death of memorization is, in some ways, the death of the brain.
When my daughter and I read the entire Little House series, I marveled at the lessons memorized in school in those days. I'm not sure I know anyone who could commit to memory the things Laura Ingalls Wilder did. It got me to thinking. I don't believe that strict lesson memorization is the sole answer to education (in fact, I don't believe any method is the sole answer), but I do see value in memorization.
Now, everyone memorizes something. Hopefully we've all memorized math facts. Various occupations require or lend themselves easily to the memorization of specific things related to said occupation. My children memorize entire movies rapidly, as well as song lyrics. This is not what I'm talking about. I am talking about purposely memorizing things of wisdom and beauty so as to personally own a cache of goodness that never parts from you; such things can brighten the darkest places and can never be taken away.
It is in this spirit that I required my children to each memorize two quotes from Maxims of George Washington, a book I picked up at Washington's own Mount Vernon some years ago, impressed with the quality and quantity of wisdom and personal writings of one of the people I admire most in history. (A United States History unit could last years if you wanted to really go in depth. Deciding what to spend time on and how deep to go on what is another discussion. Because I have such regard for George Washington and consider him an immensely important figure and role model, I chose to spend some weeks on him alone.)
I allowed each child to choose which maxims he wanted to memorize, my only conditions being that I wanted one of them to have something to do with virtue and character and one to have something to do with politics, government, or liberty. I also stipulated that they needed to understand the maxim and that it should mean something to them personally. Today everyone shared their memorized maxims aloud. As each was recited, we discussed what it meant, citing things we knew from Washington's life and likening the morals and lessons to personal experience. Here is what the kids shared:
18-year-old P1:
Nature of True Friendship
"...true friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shock of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation."
Human Imperfection
"...It is to be lamented however that great characters are seldom without blot."
16-year-old P2:
The Most Enviable of Titles
"...I hope I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain (what I consider the most enviable of all titles) the character of an honest man."
Self-Control
"...It is our duty to make the best of our misfortunes, and not to suffer passions to interfere with our interests and the public good."
13-year-old P3:
The Patriot's Offering
"...it is my full intention to devote my Life and Fortune in the cause we're engaged in, if need be."
Morality and Civil Government
"...'Tis substantially true, that virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."
11-year-old P4:
Talents, Without Virtue
"...without Virtue and without integrity the finest talents of the most brilliant accomplishments can never gain the respect or conciliate the esteem of the truly valuable part of mankind."
The Soldier's Motto
"...Perseverance and spirit have done Wonders in all Ages."
Spies
"...Single men in the night will be more likely to ascertain facts than the best glasses in the day."
9-year-old P5:
The Government of the United States
"...That the Government, though not absolutely perfect, is one of the best in the world, I have little doubt."
Freedom of Choice
"...it is really my wish to have my mind, and my actions which are the result of contemplation, as free and independent as the air."
I've read that Washington had a sense of humor, and that he disliked posing for paintings. With that in mind, I'm going to share something my 13-year-old put together using paintings of Washington, not to be disrespectful, but to be creative and do something different. I think George might approve.

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!