Monday, June 16, 2014

Family Watch on Father's Day

Happy Father's Day! I want to shout a great big "Hurrah!" for all the faithful fathers in the world, and offer a prayer and a plea for more men to be like them, and for more women to appreciate and lovingly encourage them.

I have been subscribed to Family Watch International's newsletter and I received some information from them today with astounding statistics. (Daily headlines are, unfortunately, proof of these.) I'll be honest here and tell you that some days, I can't read the FWI newsletter because the news is both depressing and maddening. So many in the world are misled and confused; others are just plain wicked and they are doing their darndest to destroy all that is good in this world, especially when it comes to the family. But I feel it's imperative that the public be more informed. There are people in places all over the world who do not reflect my values at all, and in fact in some cases they diabolically oppose them, who are working to influence and make policies that tear at the seams of all I hold dear. So I am grateful for the work of the folks at FWI and other organizations like them, and I share their info here because I feel the need to spread the word.

One of the artillery shells aimed at destroying the traditional family is the idea that fathers are unnecessary. There are plenty of deadbeat dads in the world who shamefully shirk their responsibilities but, the truth is, there are just as many women who disgracefully dishonor men, husbands, and fathers. I consider myself to be a smart and capable person, but I would never want to parent alone--for my own sake as well as my children's. My relationships with each of my children is different than my husband's relationships with each of them, and that is right and good and proper... and what each child needs. My husband and I have unique roles to fill for each of our children.  We're neither of us perfect, but the pattern of a husband/father and wife/mother and their children is perfect. 

So, to my own father (who enjoys having a bathroom to himself now that his five daughters are gone and who has been relieved to not be late to everything since I left the nest) I say, "Thank you!" for presiding, providing, protecting, and directing our family and giving me a solid foundation to safely stand on when little and build on now.
Baby Me and Dad

Dad teaching me to ride the bike he fixed up for me for my 6th birthday.

Dad handing me my high school diploma. (He was on the school board.)

And to my husband (who might one day enjoy having more of me to himself but who will be late probably even to Heaven because of me) I say, "Thank you!" for making it not only physically possible for me to be a mother, but for doing your job so well as a father that it helps me be a better mother.  Our children are blessed because you are who you are and you do what you do, a solid rock every day of our lives.












No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!