Friday, October 7, 2016

Math in Units - Biotic and Abiotic Dimensional Shapes


It is torture to spend gorgeous autumn days stuck at desks (or tables) especially when learning can (and often should!) take place outside. Here is an outdoor math AND science lesson I created for our BIO studies.  (A question I often get regarding unit studies is, "What about math?" We do have a separate math program we use daily, but I am always looking for ways to incorporate math into every single unit. It's important for children to see real world applications of math and to see that math is literally in everything.)



Above is the first page of the scavenger hunt I created. Download the full Biotic and Abiotic Dimensional Shapes Scavenger Hunt Worksheet here. Obviously, the science aspect is determining biotic (living) things from abiotic (nonliving), and the math is identifying shapes and their dimensions. 

Below are a few photos from our scavenger hunt. We were actually able to find most shapes.

Parallel and perpendicular lines
Oval
Sphere
Cylinder
Oval
Trapezoid
Circle, or octagon, if you draw a line to connect every 3 petals
Rectangle
Homeschool--the world is our classroom!






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!