Monday, April 27, 2015

Tell a Story Day

April 27 is National Tell a Story Day.  Here are a few of the things we're doing to incorporate this into our school day today.


PARTS OF SPEECH STORY


Including the kids from start to finish, each child wrote 6 nouns (2 persons, 2 places, 2 things), 3 verbs, 2 adjectives, and 2 adverbs on slips of paper and placed them in the appropriate jars.  After shaking, stirring, and mixing, each child then pulled out the same number of slips as they put in and wrote a short story using the parts of speech they drew from the jars.


HEADLINE STORY STARTER


I found this little gem of a game while hunting for a birthday gift at WalMart. (And it is far cheaper to purchase it there by the way.) I ended up buying this to use for a fun activity in the journalism class I mentor. We use it there as a game, which is what it is, but today we will be using it at home as a story starter.  In the game, so many cards are dealt in a hand and each player tries to make the best headline they can with their hand; for today's purposes everyone will write some crazy story that explains the headline.


STORY CUBE STORIES


These are pretty obvious; roll the dice and use the pictures on the dice to tell a story. I only have the orange set right now, but my children like them. We will be using these to tell stories today as well.


FAMILY HISTORY STORIES



Additionally, I will be reading some family history stories to my children today and the children will be contributing a true story from their lives to the files. 

Happy storytelling!




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!