Monday, April 6, 2015

Sorry Charlie Day

April 6 is National Sorry Charlie Day. Have you heard or used that phrase before? Have your children? Do you know where it comes from?

"Sorry Charlie" is an American catchphrase that sprang into vernacular from a commercial.



I remember seeing the later commercials as a child and I have used the phrase numerous times in conversation, but I don't think I ever associated the every day use of the phrase with a commercial from my childhood. 

Sorry Charlie Day sparked a couple of points worth discussion.  First, and the purpose for Sorry Charlie Day, is to note that everyone faces rejection of some kind in the course of their lives. On SCD we can reflect on how we've survived past rejections and how maybe we are even better for it. Charlie Tuna was rejected by StarKist over and over in every commercial for decades and he never let it get him down or keep him from trying again. 










The other points of discussion are the power of advertising and media, and where words and phrases come from and how they are assimilated into everyday use.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!