Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Scriptures and Ecology

There was a great quote that stood out to me in one of the geology books we are reading.

"If we took all of the Earth's products out of our lives, we would be hungry, naked, and shivering in the dark." - Duane Leavitt, an Earth Science teacher in Maine

The book was talking about the treasure chest that Earth is. Of course, EVERYTHING comes from the resources of this good earth, but sometimes I think we forget that. It's like new inventions must be magic or something and not a new understanding or repurposing of the metals, minerals, plants, and animals found here. There is no interstellar mail order going on, so of course everything is derived from what this planet has to offer.

Because of the truthfulness of this, I knew there had to be scripture about it. I came across a terrific article from a 1972 New Era that was a great addition to our science studies, What the Scriptures Say About: Ecology.  My favorite scripture pertinent to this is Doctrine & Covenants 59:16-20.

So, I gave the kids an assignment to use the quote and scripture and make something reflective of the things the earth provides that means something to them.  Here's what they came up with.

P5

P3

P4

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!