Today's devotional lesson and discussion was on choices. After singing "Choose the Right" I showed this video of Matt Bush's story and read the accompanying article. This mattered to my kids as they are all dedicated baseball players and faithful fans of the game. For us, to see someone who "had it all" in his grasp, a dream come true that we know too well takes a blessed triad of talent, work, and opportunity, to then lose it because of dumb decisions was powerful. Our discussion wasn't just on choices, but on how even just one poor choice can limit future choices or eliminate them altogether. We talked about alcohol, drugs, and tobacco, of course, but also video games and pornography. We talked about recovery, repentance, and change, and how even the strongest wills still need the healing help of Christ and the power of His grace to overcome. And I told them that people struggling with an addiction usually need someone else in their lives also to be accountable to or to help remind them and watch out for them and that I was here for more than cooking and laundry and could and would be that for them if they needed it.
Today's discussion focused mostly on how a bad choice can dictate a path and avoiding that kind of consequence. Tomorrow's discussion will focus on the effects of a good choice.
There are lots of topics parents need to talk to their children about and it's not always easy. The world needs more parents who tackle the job sincerely, and I tip my hat to parents who are trying. I share what I did here as an example, to show that if you can find a way to reach your children through the things that they love, that really speak to them, I believe it helps the lesson resonate. Parents can't just dictate, they've got to relate.

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!