A big shout out to my friend, Audrey, for telling me about these books!
There is actually a whole series of these books written by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D., a "clinical psychologist in Exeter, New Hampshire, specializing in the treatment of children and their parents." (Because parents are part of the equation!) While the books say they are written for children ages 6-12, I've found the simple, straightforward, honest presentation good for older kids and myself as well. It is written in a way that children totally understand the concepts and it gives parents a vocabulary to have in common with their children in trying to help them (and themselves!) overcome challenges.
There are drawing activities inside that are probably helpful for younger children but feel too elementary for older ones. Some of these things we skip over because they are super obvious, some things I adapt into more of a writing exercise, and some things we just talk about. Because there are truths in these books, they lend themselves to coinciding with scripture, also, which we find to go along. I feel like I've been able to have some very good one on one discussions with family members as a result of reading these books together, and I've also had some introspective moments reflecting on my own thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.


What a wonderful unit study! Loved it. I'll be checking out your resources today. Thank you!!
ReplyDeleteMelora