Thursday, April 6, 2017

Learning the Ways of Jesus - Pictures for Primary


The Primary Sharing Time theme for April this year is "Jesus Christ Teaches Me to Choose the Right." Choristers are to choose a song appropriate to the theme. I will be teaching "I'm Learning the Ways of Jesus" by Janice Kapp Perry. This is a song published in the Friend magazine in 2010. You can find sheet music here

I love this song! As nice as "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus" is, I prefer this song for this year as it recognizes and mentions choice in the lyrics and that fits so well with the "Choose the Right" theme of 2017. Further, this song is much more specific in how to be like Jesus and what His ways are.

Here is a video of the song from the Church's website:



To teach the song to my Primary children, I've prepared two banners per verse with pictures and lyrics. Using a roll of banner paper from Walmart, I cut four lengths and put four pictures on each banner, writing the words that accompany each picture with poster markers below. (I do like to mix things up with flip charts, banners, posters, actions, chalkboard drawings, etc. for learning words to songs. Sometimes flip charts frustrate me, though, because the printed words are often not big enough for children sitting in the back to see.) For the final "I try every day to give love away. I'm learning the ways of Jesus" lines, I didn't reprint; I will just point back to the previous pictures and words.

I spent a long time hunting for just the right pictures to use so I thought I'd share them here in case anyone wants to teach this song to Primary children or their own children, whether as a part of homeschool or in Family Home Evening or whatever.


I'm learning each day to be caring and kind.

I think of good deeds in my heart and my mind.

I try every day to give love away.

I'm learning the ways of Jesus.

So if I see someone who's lost or afraid,

I'll offer to help. That's a choice I have made.

Or if I see someone who just needs a friend,

I'll speak to them kindly and spend time with them.

I try every day to give love away.

I'm learning the ways of Jesus.

I'm learning each day to be friendly and fair.

I try to help others; I willingly share.

I try every day to give love away.

I'm learning the ways of Jesus.

So if I see someone who can't walk or run,

I'll think of some ways I can help them have fun.

Or if I see someone who can't see or hear,

I'll tell them that I'll be their eyes or their ears.

I try every day to give love away.

I'm learning the ways of Jesus.










No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!