Monday, February 1, 2016

Smitten with Annie

For the past week we've been watching and listening to a LOT of the 2014 version of Annie. For various reasons I never really liked the 1980s version, but I got kind of excited when I saw a trailer for the new 2014 one. Then I heard a lot of negative reviews so I just forgot about it. But last week my daughter checked out the DVD from the library and... we LOVE it!  It is so much better than the old one! There are new, way better arrangements of the music, with fantastic harmonies, plus new songs we just can't get enough of. (Soundtrack is free on Amazon Prime right now!) Quvenzhané Wallis is charming and delightful and she can really sing! We like these actors better, and I like the changes to the plot, setting, and characters. Even my 18yo son who isn't a fan of musicals likes this!

Further, this movie has educational value. I made all of my boys watch it so I could reference it in our government studies relating to campaigns, polls, politicians, candidate qualities, and honesty. It gave us a lot to talk about.

I don't know if I can say I have a favorite song from the soundtrack, because I really love several of the songs. But my daughter and I are truly mesmerized by "Opportunity." Check it out:



It wouldn't be Annie without the "Tomorrow" song. I like this perkier version and I love Quvenzhané's eternally hopeful, cheerful persona. It's such an inspiration and pick-me-up!




Finally, we love the becoming in this film. There are great examples of overcoming obstacles, of changing, persevering, doing the right thing, and staying hopeful. In fact, my daughter was trying to convince me that it was okay to watch this movie on Sunday. (We have rules about Sabbath media, so my kids have to prove there are sufficient gospel principles in something if they want any shot at watching it on a Sunday.) She said, "Mom, she (Hannigan) has a change of heart." I LOVE the song that goes with it:




We are smitten with Annie!






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!