"And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook,
and put them in a shepherd’s bag which he had, even in a scrip;
and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine."
I chose the subject of the scripture/character portion of our unit because of a song I dearly love which was written for a musical production* of the story of David and Goliath (1 Samuel 17). As David chooses his five smooth stones for use in smiting Goliath, he ponders about and vows to be a smooth stone himself in God's hands.
One Smooth Stone*
One smooth stone is all I need
To fly straight and true, and not lose speed
If the edges are rough it'l go its own way
I need one smooth stone today
The task is great, the odds are small
But the righteous aren't always the big and the tall
With God on my side, I am never alone
All I need is one smooth stone
We all have our wills, and we all have our plans
But God gives us more than we understand
If we're willing to go
Through the storms He commands
And be one smooth stone in His hands
One smooth stone will be plenty today
But at times the wind changes and stones go astray
God has many prepared but he calls just a few
So I'll find more than one stone, too
One smooth stone is what I'll be
So the Lord can do what He wants with me
I'll prepare myself to be worthy to stand
And be one smooth stone in His hands
This song, as well as the entire soundtrack, is awesome; I wish there were a way to share it in its musical entirety here.
So, my kids have watched the video and listened to the soundtrack many times, but I wanted to really focus on this particular song and the purpose and analogy in a smooth stone. We read the scriptural account, listened to the song (and kids used it for copywork), studied the historical context of slings and stones as well as the science behind it, and discussed what it all meant and why and how to apply it to our personal lives.
The other specific character lesson was discussing a quote from Buddha and creating personal beautiful posters with it for reminders. Here is one of them.
*"One Smooth Stone" is one of many wonderful songs written by Aaron Edson. David and Goliath is one of many great musical adaptations of scripture stories from Liken the Scriptures.


No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!