Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day Repentance FHE

We had a Memorial Day Family Home Evening tonight. I told my family that we needed to repent for being so lax regarding this day. We've allowed ourselves to slide a little on the slippery slope of current American UNconsciousness, taking certain holidays for granted as nothing more than 3-day weekends and excuses to party. 

After a hymn and prayer I talked with my family about the purpose of holidays, the roots of that word being holy days. These are days meant to be reverenced and full of purpose. Not that we can't celebrate or enjoy, but that we need to spend some time in sincere reverent reflection. I talked about how I've always been good with religious holidays, and I've tried over the years to give more meaning to the 4th of July and Veterans Day. I explained how as a child I never cared for Memorial Day and visiting cemeteries, especially since my birthday falls on Memorial Day every now and then, and as a kid I always thought that was the pits. But I never really understood any higher purpose to Memorial Day. So when I became an adult I sort of shunned the day and didn't pay real attention to its meaning. 

Until now.

I have always been very sensitive to and appreciative of the price of freedom. I think about it a lot more than just once a year. But now I want to be sure that we mark Memorial Day for what it is and let it sober us and remind us and keep us ever humble, grateful, and vigilant. We certainly don't want to be like the people in the following video, who make me sad and concerned at the ignorance of the population:



If you don't know what Memorial Day really is, here is a little history we watched tonight.




I also wanted them to understand the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Though they've been there, they were very young so it didn't mean much to them and they don't remember it.



And I shared my favorite tribute video.





Sincere and respectful gratitude to those who gave their all. We must not forget.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!