Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Keeping Christmas in a Jar



Every Christmas I wish oh wish oh wish to find a way to keep Christmas close all year long. As a huge Trans-Siberian Orchestra fan, I listen to their music over and over and over, and yet these words get to me every single time I hear them:



"So, tell me Christmas, are we kind,
More this day than any other day,
Or is it only in our mind?
And must it leave when you have gone away?"
("This Christmas Day")


"If you want to arrange it,
This world, you can change it,
If we could somehow
Make this Christmas thing last
By helping a neighbor,
Or even a stranger.
And to know who needs help,
You need only just ask."
("Old City Bar")


One summer night while visiting my parents, I saw Christmas Jars on a shelf and decided to read it. I'd been aware of the book for quite a while, but hadn't bothered to look into it. After reading it, I decided it was a tradition I wanted to start with my family. I waited until the week after Christmas a year ago to buy the book (75% off, and it's on sale again now!) and then I waited until this week to share it with my family because I wanted to wait for a new year to start the tradition, when everyone is in the phase of being sentimental that Christmas is over, but wanting to start anew to do good things.  We're just getting started, but I hope it's the beginning of keeping Christmas every day and changing the world one heart at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!