I just returned from an amazing trip to Alaska. There are no words for how breathtakingly beautiful and rejuvenating and healing Alaska is. (Even though I got hypothermia... but that's another story.)
While I was there I was reminded of a favorite artist of mine. I came across Sue and her work, Earth Art International, at a folk art festival in Seattle, Washington many years ago. I loved her pieces and purchased several coloring books on the spot, which my children loved. When those were all used up, I ordered more online. Those were loved and used up. While in Alaska, getting ready to board a wildlife viewing cruise, I came across her coloring books at the gift shop and purchased some more--different titles we haven't had before. I purchased the specific collections I did for some upcoming units I am planning for the year, including one mini unit on Alaska.
What I love about this art and using the coloring books is that they are unique, interesting, and engaging, and they can work with so many different unit studies. They work with units on art, social studies units on Native Americans or Lewis and Clark, and science units of a variety of subjects like the Ice Age or specific environments, climates, and habitats.
Anyway, just wanted to share the resource in case you find this a good fit for your children.


No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!