I love Clement Moore's "A Visit from St. Nicholas," also known as, "'Twas the Night Before Christmas." As you know, there are many, many, many versions out there. The original classic has been illustrated by so many different people there is really no way to count how many times it's been published. But there are also variations; creatively re-written versions such as the popular Cajun Night Before Christmas, A Pirate's Night Before Christmas, Pennsylvania Dutch Night Before Christmas, Mr. Darcy's Night Before Christmas, and on and on. In fact, the the original story of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer began, "'Twas the night before Christmas..." and followed the format. So it should be no surprise that in today's mass market society we also have Olaf's Night Before Christmas. The beauty of all of these different versions is the wide world of differences they share and perspectives.
I appreciate the creativity and twist that many of the different versions share. This year, I am really, really in love with the Olaf version. Olaf is the Frozen character my kids really liked and this book is written perfectly in character and from his perspective. It begs you to look at something traditional and familiar with new eyes. Again, I love that it demonstrates point of view. And so, with that in mind, I read this to my kids (who are all over the age of 12 now, mind you, and they loved it) and then tasked them with choosing any well-known character from some other "story" and write "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" from that character's point of view, in that character's natural setting.
It might sound like an obvious, cliche, knock-off sort of assignment, but I'm here to tell you it takes thought and creativity, especially to stay true to both your character and the original poem. I love the results! We ended up with "R2-D2's Night Before Christmas" (Star Wars), "Moana's Night Before Christmas" (new Disney movie, Moana), and "Mr. Weasley's Night Before Christmas" (Harry Potter). They were so charming and clever!
Interestingly, a couple of weeks after this, my missionary son sent home a homemade Christmas card wherein he'd independently written his own version relating to his mission that was also smart, entertaining, and informative. Additionally, he mentioned that he wanted to start a new tradition reading Cajun Night Before Christmas because it was his mission companion's favorite and someone had invited them over to read it on Christmas Eve and he loves it. I love it when things coincide like that! (We're going to have to get our hands on that book!)
This is a creative writing activity that you can do year after year with new characters, settings, etc. to keep it fresh.

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!