I'm continuing to clean out old files and attempting to reduce the paper piles in my house. Today I came across a very old group email exchange between homeschooling mothers that I had printed off. One mom had asked, "Do you all have a favorite scripture that you have posted somewhere around the house that is especially for you as a mom, and a homeschool mom at that? I read a book recently that challenged the reader to really search for a scripture that she could commit to memory that would encourage her in her endeavor as a wife and mother...."
This same mother shared the scripture that she had found for herself:
"Wherefore be not weary in well doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great. Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days." (Doctrine & Covenants 64:33-34)
Another mother replied that she had posted the following in her house:
"And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." (Deuteronomy 6:7)
"Material possessions, and so-called professional advantages are nothing compared to a righteous posterity. In the eternal perspective, children--not possessions, not position, not prestige--are our greatest jewels." - Ezra Taft Benson
"Mothers, you are your children's best teacher. The Church cannot teach like you can. The school cannot. The day-care center cannot. But you can, and the Lord will sustain you. Your children will remember your teachings forever, and when they are old, they will not depart from them. They will call you blessed--their truly angel mother. Mothers, this kind of heavenly, motherly teaching takes time--lots of time. It cannot be done effectively part-time. It must be done all the time in order to save and exalt your children. This is your divine calling." -Ezra Taft Benson, To the Mothers in Zion pamphlet
Having quotes of scripture and counsel to help stay focused and moving forward is a great boost on rough and tough days, whether you collect them somewhere or post them on a bathroom mirror.
One of my personal favorite quotes, that I truly believe in and try to live by, was quoted by Elder Anderson in Conference. It is from an excellent article written by Rachel Jankovic, titled "Motherhood is a Calling."
"Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. ... It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for."
As I've mentioned before, and as was suggested by my friend above, memorized scripture is a key source of comfort, motivation, and guidance. When things get fuzzy or frazzled, being able to mentally recall words of God that speak to your soul is invaluable.
There are two scriptures that mean a lot to me as a mother, and especially as a homeschooling mother. While I do consider myself to be an intelligent and capable woman, I recognize that I do not know everything. My love for my children has me ever searching for what I can and should do that is right for them and by them. For all the worldly wisdom out there from the countless "experts," my main source of guidance is my children's Father in Heaven.
"And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore he worketh in me to do according to his will." (Words of Mormon 1:7)
This second scripture is a powerful example to me of what is possible when the Lord is your mentor. If He can guide Nephi to build a ship--and a better one than anything anyone knew how to build at that time--then surely He can guide me to being the mother my children need, and He can do so better than the so-called parenting experts doing things after the manner of men.
"...And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should work the timbers of the ship.
"Now I, Nephi, did not work the timbers after the manner which was learned by men, neither did I build the ship after the manner of men; but I did build it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me; wherefore it was not after the manner of men.
"And I, Nephi, did go into the mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord; wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things." (1 Nephi 18:1-3)
I'd love to hear the scriptures, counsel, and inspiration that helps you stay a hard-working, fully invested, ever-loving mother. Post it in the comments below.

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!