Friday, May 20, 2016

Ecology - National Endangered Species Day



May 20th (annually it's the third Friday of May) is National Endangered Species Day. Perfect timing for our Ecology unit!

Here are online resources I found handy:

*"What the Scriptures Say About: Ecology" New Era article
*"Lasting Impressions" New Era article on YW helping sea turtles
*Slide show of animals gone extinct in our lifetime
*Interactive map to learn about endangered species in your state and recovery efforts
*2016 Endangered Species Youth Art Contest finalists and winners
*Endangered Species Day Activity Book

We also used this book:


First we talked about the words extinct, endangered, and threatened, and then we shared ideas on why and how things become endangered or go extinct. Then we viewed all the slideshows together. I read the two articles aloud and we discussed them. I divvied out pages of the activity book, then independently the kids each read The Dodo is Dead book, researched and wrote a report on an endangered animal of his/her choice, and then created their own endangered species poster/piece of art.

Happy homeschooling!





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!