Friday's focus for our Valentine Devotional was GOD'S LOVE IS A GIFT. I didn't think the scripture suggested in the download for this one was "right," so I changed it to James 1:17.
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
We sang the hymn "Because I Have Been Given Much" (Can't link to it because of copyright.) Then we spent some time in the Topical Guide under "God, Gifts of" discussing the many gifts of God and the purposes of the gifts, which always, in the end, come down to His love for us. We talked about gifts and giving in general and what those two words imply as to motivations and expectations. Then we read a new Valentine book purchase, God Gave Us Love by Lisa Tawn, which I cannot recommend highly enough. Perfect!
We read and discussed Jacob 2:17-19, Mosiah 18:27-19 and 2 Corinthians 9:6-7:
"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."
For a visual reminder of the lesson we went to this great site for making Word Hearts. Everyone took turns reflecting on the scriptures, discussion, lesson and taking what stood out to them and turning it into something neat for decorating the house with. (We LOVED doing these and found it kind of addicting. My daughter later made several different ones to send to her missionary brother and I stayed up late making a whole bunch of them for my husband with phrases from "our song" and other things and "heart-attacked" his office door with them.)






No comments:
Post a Comment
If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!