Sunday, July 6, 2014

George vs. George



It's never a good idea to study just one side of history. In the first place, you're not getting the whole story. In the second, one purpose of studying history is so that we don't repeat its mistakes; human interactions are often as complex as the interacting characters and we cannot avoid their pitfalls if we don't get to know all the players.

A great activity for seeing relationships and listing similarities and differences between people (or events or works of literature, etc.) is to use a graphic organizer like a Venn diagram. There are all sorts of free printable versions, but if you want the activity without the paper trail, I found a dry erase version on clearance that I'm very happy with. 




You can see from the diagram above that George Washington and King George III actually had far more in common than not.  But the "not" made all the difference!  We did the diagram activity together while I read aloud George vs. George, then everyone was let loose to turn their diagram notes into a comparative essay.

Also with this lesson we sang "God Save the King" and "My Country 'Tis of Thee" and compared and contrasted them.

Another great book we added to this lesson was:



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find these posts useful, I'd love to hear from you!